Important

This blog is moving to WordPress! The new address is:
http://pinkindle.net

You can subscribe/resubscribe to my RSS feed here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/pinkindle

Saturday, January 26, 2013

[Review] Nobody But Us by Kristin Halbrook

Cover Rating: ★★☆☆☆
Title: Nobody But Us
Author: Kristin Halbrook
Pages: 272 (Paperback)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: January 29, 2012
Source: Edelweiss

Bonnie and Clyde meets IF I STAY in this addictively heart-wrenching story of two desperate teenagers on the run from their pasts.

They’re young. They’re in love. They’re on the run.

Zoe wants to save Will as much as Will wants to save Zoe. When Will turns eighteen, they decide to run away together. But they never expected their escape to be so fraught with danger....

When the whole world is after you, sometimes it seems like you can’t run fast enough.

Nobody But Us, told in alternating perspectives from Will and Zoe, is an unflinching novel, in turns heartbreaking and hopeful, about survival, choices, and love...and how having love doesn’t always mean that you get a happy ending. Described as “beautiful, heartbreaking, and exhilarating” by Kody Keplinger, author of The DUFF, Nobody But Us will prove irresistible to fans of Nina Lacour, Jenny Han, and Sara Zarr.


I immediately knew I wanted to read Nobody But Us. It sounded like one of those heart breaking, gut wrenching stories that I love so much. I was also hoping on shedding some tears. Well, this book is sad, but I didn't cry. In fact, the end left me feeling confused. I read this straight through in one afternoon, so I did enjoy it. It had me hooked from the beginning, but I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending and the book as a whole.

The story follows Zoe and Will, two very damaged teenagers who are in love and want to get away from their lives. Will just turned 18, so he's been kicked out of his group home. He's leaving and he takes his 15 year old girlfriend with him, since she's abused by her alcoholic father. They're excited to run away together and be free, but Will also spends their whole trip paranoid about the past catching up with him. He's made some awful mistakes, and makes even bigger ones once they've crossed a few state lines.

I had this horrible feeling the entire time I was reading. I knew something awful was going to happen. Then about half way through, things appeared to be looking up. I started feeling hopeful right along with Zoe and Will. Then things take a turn for the worse. It was clear from the beginning that their story could not end well, but I didn't want things to go the way they did. I was actually mad at Zoe near the end. I know she does the right thing, but I was so emotionally invested in these two, that I couldn't believe what happened.

At the end I was mad, confused, and sad. I expected a bad ending, but not what actually happened. It was shocking, but also unsatisfying. It seemed like a shock ending for the sake of a shock ending. There is a hint of hope at the end, so that's good. I just wanted something more out this book, but I didn't get it. It's still a worthwhile read though.

Favorite Quotes

I guess it was just a case of the old stain on a hidden part of the wallpaper. When you see something often enough, it becomes invisible. (8% eARC)

A wolf can take down a buffalo if it needs to. (25% eARC)

Why can't being happy, being free, be the right thing? (81% eARC)

Was this review helpful? If so, please vote yes on Amazon.

4 comments:

  1. I had the same horrible feeling reading the story, and dreading the ending because it was going to be bad. Still I never expected what really happened, and it was socking. Overall, I loved the writing in Nobody But Us, it was really good for a debut author.
    Nice review =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to read this! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds like something I would love.
    Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the honest review, and for participating!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read my post and leave a comment; I really appreciate it! :)