Important

This blog is moving to WordPress! The new address is:
http://pinkindle.net

You can subscribe/resubscribe to my RSS feed here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/pinkindle

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

[Review] Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves, #1) by Quinn Loftis

Title: Prince of Wolves
Series: The Grey Wolves, #1
Author: Quinn Loftis
Pages: 230 (Kindle edition)
Release Date: June 29, 2011

Jaque Pierce was just an ordinary 17 year old girl getting ready to start her senior year in high school in Coldspring, Texas. When a mysterious foreign exchange student from Romania moves in across the street, Jacque and her two best friends, Sally and Jen, don't realize the last two weeks of their summer was going to get a lot more interesting. From the moment Jacque sets eyes on Fane she feels an instant connection, a pull like a moth to a flame. Little does she know that the flame she is drawn to is actually a Canis lupis, werewolf, and she just happens to be his mate; the other half of his soul. The problem is Fane is not the only wolf in Coldspring, Texas.

Just as Fane and Jacque are getting to know each other, another wolf steps out to try and claim Jacque as his mate. Fane will now have to fight for the right to complete the mating bond, something that is his right by birth but is being denied him by a crazed Alpha. Will the love Fane has for Jacque be enough to give him the strength to defeat his enemy, will Jacque accept that she is Fane's mate and complete the bond between them?


Prince of Wolves introduces a narrative style that I wasn't sure if I was going to like or not. It's alternates between Jacque and Fane's perspectives, but instead of the story continuously moving forward, several chapters are told twice: once by Jacque and once by Fane. This of course makes the story unnecessarily longer (it's still pretty short though), but we get the full story from both sides. I thought it was going to annoy to me to have to read every situation twice, but it didn't. I actually quite liked the "he said, she said" since it's two totally different perspectives and it stopped about half way through the book.

The story is pretty fun, although it's the typical werewolf bond, soul-mate type story, where the girl has no clue what she is until she meets the sexy stranger. I don't read too many werewolf books, so it hasn't grown old for me and I was still able to enjoy it. It moves at a good pace. There always seems to be something happening, but the main conflict doesn't appear until halfway through. Jacque's friends also provide some great comic relief through out.

I have one major complaint: the dialogue is awful! Sometimes it's very stiff and formal, but I kind of expect that from Fane, since he's royalty and English isn't his first language. Coming from everyone else though, it just feels awkward. But Jacque and her friend's also use the most horrific slang! It's so outdated and irritating! I hadn't heard most of these expressions in over a decade, if I'd even heard them before at all. It was just a little over-the-top at times.

Overall, Prince of Wolves has a pretty good story, but it could greatly benefit from more editing, especially in the dialogue department. There's also some annoyance whenever Fane or his family speak Romanian. For some reason the English translation is in parentheses, but then the next paragraph will have Fane translating to the non-Romanian speakers anyway. It was fairly awkward to read. I have the next two books, so I'll be continuing the series. I just hope the writing has improved.

Favorite Quotes

Overall, it was a charming home. A home in which a person would feel comfortable - a normal home. Fane hoped this was the case because "normal" was not usually a part of his vocabulary. He was, after all, from a family of werewolves. (pg 10)


"Sal, if you're going to hear voices why on earth would you hear one that speaks in Romanian?"
"Well, duh, because you have a secret fantasy about running away with a gorgeous Romanian noble to his beautiful ice castle." (pg 62)


"Listen carefully, Lucas Steele, because I will only say this once. I am NOT your mate, I will never be your mate, and if you ever put your hands on me again I will cut them off along with other body parts you might want to use one day. Got it?" (pg 143)

Was this review helpful? If so, please vote yes on Amazon.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading characters with different accents, but hate when the author translates it over and over again and repeat scenes wit different perspective. It's confusing. I hope the next one works out well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this book on my kindle for a while, so I've been trying to decide whether or not to read it. Even though it does seem to have many extraneous details, it does seem to be a fascinating read.

    Great review!

    -Angie @YA Novelties

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read so many werewolf books and still haven't had enough of them! I really enjoy books which change perspectives from one chapter to the next, even though it can sometimes be confusing and drag on. Books with different languages can be interesting, but it can also be frustrating depending on how the translation works! Anyways, great review!

    Lisa
    @turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read my post and leave a comment; I really appreciate it! :)