Important

This blog is moving to WordPress! The new address is:
http://pinkindle.net

You can subscribe/resubscribe to my RSS feed here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/pinkindle

Saturday, November 3, 2012

[Review] Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10) by J.R. Ward

Title: Lover Reborn
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10
Author: J.R. Ward
Pages: 572 (Hardcover)
Publisher: NAL
Release Date: March 27, 2012

Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment has been unrecognizable from the vampire leader he once was. Physically emaciated and heartbroken beyond despair, he has been brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel. Now, fighting once again with ruthless vengeance, he is unprepared to face a new kind of tragedy.

When Tohr begins to see his beloved in his dreams—trapped in a cold, isolated netherworld far from the peace and tranquillity of the Fade—he turns to the angel in hopes of saving the one he has lost. But because Lassiter tells him he must learn to love another to free his former mate, Tohr knows they are all doomed....

Except then a female with a shadowed history begins to get through to him. Against the backdrop of the raging war with the lessers, and with a new clan of vampires vying for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between the buried past and a very hot, passion-filled future…but can his heart let go and set all of them free


Sooo...this one is a bit on the boring side. It does pick up in the last third or so, but Lover Reborn felt like filler much like Lover Enshrined. Although there was a scene near the end that made me cry, which hasn't happened since Z's book.

Tohrment and No'One was a pairing that I was never 100% sold on. Their attraction to each other just seemed forced and convenient, although I did like that they were reunited after all those years. Tohrment is stuck inside his grief and No'One is stuck inside her own self-punishment, so of course they'd need each other to heal. However, Tohr seriously got on my nerves a lot in the beginning. He kept saying he was trying to let Wellsie go, but then in every single one of his chapters he was trying to hold onto her memory and never give her up. Too much contradiction! As for No'One, let's just say her name is fitting.

This is the second book with a "trouble in paradise" plot, and I liked it even less that the first one! John Matthew has been one of my favorites since the beginning, but I found myself beyond annoyed with him and Xhex. It seems like they've done a total 180 and it doesn't make any sense. Sure his fear of her fighting and getting killed is understandable, but the way they go about handling (or not) it is just frustrating. Somehow everything has become about Xhex being female and John's shellan even though it wasn't that way before. It just again felt like Ward wanted to stir up trouble in an established couple, and it simply didn't work. I didn't care, which is sad, since I adore John.

At least the Xcor and Company plot was carried over, and they are certainly stirring up trouble! I'm still a little confused about Xcor's motives, but it doesn't change the fact that he serious messed up. One he takes a shot at the king, literally, things get serious. Everyone at the Brotherhood Mansion is shaken up, and wondering how to best handle the situation. This plot also introduces an interesting possibility of a love triangle. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it could be interesting.

I still love this series, but this was not one of the strongest books. There's definitely a solid set up for major events to come, which I'm super excited for (Quinn and Blay!!!!).

Favorite Quotes

"My name's Lassiter, and I'll tell you all you need to know about me. I'm an angel first and a sinner second, and I'm not here for long. I'll never hurt you, but I'm prepared to make you pretty goddamn uncomfortable if I have to, to get my job done. I like sunsets and long walks on the beach, but my perfect female no longer exists. Oh, and my favorite hobby is annoying the shit out of people. Guess I'm just bred to want to get a rise out of folks--probably the whole resurrection thing." (pg 35)


"You feel guilty, and I feel like you owe me something. The latter makes me bold and the former loosens your lips." (pg 105)


Being female was not a disability in any sense of the word. But he had treated it as such, hadn't he. He had decided that because she was not male, in spite of all her qualifications and skills, she couldn't go out into conflict. As if breasts suddenly made shit more dangerous. (pg 360)

Was this review helpful? If so, please vote yes on Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. Only a three huh. This book seems to just be blah for everyone. If only I could skip in and go straight to blay and qhuinn's when it comes out. But if there is a set up for their book...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read my post and leave a comment; I really appreciate it! :)