Important

This blog is moving to WordPress! The new address is:
http://pinkindle.net

You can subscribe/resubscribe to my RSS feed here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/pinkindle

Monday, July 23, 2012

[Review] Entangled (Spellbound, #1) by Nikki Jefford

Title: Entangled
Series: Spellbound, #1
Author: Nikki Jefford
Pages: 281 (Kindle edition)
Publisher: Nikki Jefford
Release Date: February 20, 2012

A Resurrection Spell Gone Wrong

Two months after dying, Graylee Perez wakes up in her twin sister Charlene’s body. As a witch, can anyone blame her mother for attempting to bring her daughter back to life? Now Gray is stuck sharing her sister’s body in twenty-four-hour shifts.

Raj McKenna is rumored to meddle in the black arts, not to mention he’s after Gray’s invisibility spell, and worse—her heart. But Raj might be the only one powerful enough to save Gray from fading away forever.

The race is on for Gray to find a way back inside her own body before Charlene purges her from existence.


A GoodReads friend recommended this to me, and I immediately added it to my to-read. Not only do I just love paranormal books in general, but the premise reminded me of The Host which is one of my all time favorites. But instead of aliens taking over human bodies, Graylee, a witch, dies and wakes up in her identical twin's body after a spell gone wrong. Of course, Graylee doesn't know this at first and has quite an interesting day at school. It isn't until her mother returns home that they realize Charlene is gone, but only kind of, since that's her body with Graylee in it. Then another interesting twist: each twin is conscious for 24 hours at a time, so they alternate their use of the body!

While I loved the premise and thought the book was fun, it was only okay for me. I absolutely hated Charlene. She's a terrible person, an awful sister, and a wicked witch! She was also annoying and selfish, and I just couldn't understand her motives for anything that she did. Graylee and Charlene couldn't be anymore different, so sharing a body took sibling rivalry to a whole new level!

I did love how this one has an alternating POV. While the story focuses on Graylee, she's not always present, so when Charlene is in charge of the body, we actually switch over to Raj's POV. It's obvious from the beginning that these two are going to become a couple, despite being quite hostile toward each other at the start of the novel. But how can they possible start a relationship when Graylee doesn't even have her own body?! Well, you'll just have to read and find out!

There's a few unanswered questions at the end, but I won't mention them here, since I don't want to spoil anything. I did like Entangled enough to want to read the second book, so hopefully my questions will be answered there. Overall, this was a fun, quick read. It didn't wow me and fell short of my expectations, but it was still very enjoyable.

Was this review helpful? If so, please vote yes on Amazon.

3 comments:

  1. I feel similar about this book. It was okay-okay and Charlene was horrid! Though I liked Graylee. :) Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review :D This book sounds interesting, and it does have a great concept, so I think I'll give it a try... also, it reminds me of the movie Freaky Friday, for some unknown reason o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like Freaky Friday gone terribly wrong!

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to read my post and leave a comment; I really appreciate it! :)