Important

This blog is moving to WordPress! The new address is:
http://pinkindle.net

You can subscribe/resubscribe to my RSS feed here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/pinkindle

Monday, June 18, 2012

[Review] Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

Title: Shadowfever
Series: Fever, #5
Author: Karen Marie Moning
Pages: 671 (Mass Market Paperback)
Publisher: Dell
Release Date: August 30, 2011

“Evil is a completely different creature, Mac. Evil is bad that believes it's good.”

MacKayla Lane was just a child when she and her sister, Alina, were given up for adoption and banished from Ireland forever.

Twenty years later, Alina is dead and Mac has returned to the country that expelled them to hunt her sister's murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, Mac is plunged into a secret history: an ancient conflict between humans and immortals who have lived concealed among us for thousands of years.

What follows is a shocking chain of events with devastating consequences, and now Mac struggles to cope with grief while continuing her mission to acquire and control the Sinsar Dubh - book of dark, forbidden magic scribed by the mythical Unseelie King, containing the power to create and destroy worlds.

In an epic battle between humans and Fae, the hunter becomes the hunted when the Sinsar Dubh turns on Mac and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves. Who can she turn to? Who can she trust? Who is the woman haunting her dreams? More important, who is Mac herself and what is the destiny she glimpses in the black and crimson designs of an ancient tarot card?

From the luxury of the Lord Master's penthouse to the sordid depths of an Unseelie nightclub, from the erotic bed of her lover to the terrifying bed of the Unseelie King, Mac's journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and to make a choice that will either save the world...or destroy it.


I'm so glad that I had this book on hand when I finished Dreamfever, because I just had to know who that was! I had my suspicions, but I so hoping I was wrong. Even after finding out, I still kept wishing it wasn't so! That was too much!

Part I

Mac is not the same. I didn't think she ever would be again, but during the first part of the book she was a different person entirely. She's lost so much, but she's willing to do anything to get it all back: even team up with the Lord Master. He might be her only way out of the Silvers, so I can't really blame her, but damn. He is able to provide some must needed information about the Sinsar Dubh, too.

Then OMG! No way! Conflicting emotions abound! I don't want to be spoilery, but OMG. I was happy, but then I was shocked, but I was also mad! OMG OMG OMG! Yes! No! Dammit, Mac! That's really all I can say about that. I absolutely did not want to put this down after reading Chapter 8. It just didn't feel possible. If it wasn't finals week, and I didn't need to study, this book would have been fused to my hand.

WTF is Jerricho Barrons?!

Part II

"I had a new question to be obsessed with besides what was Jerricho Barrons? What was I?"

My thoughts exactly! In a book where I was expecting to finally get some answers, I just get more questions and random information that may or may not fit nicely with previous information! More and more tid-bits keep piling up, but the bigger picture has yet to become even slightly clear. Why the heck is everyone after this mysteriously evil book? Why is the book after Mac? I've been so concerned about what Barrons is that I haven't given any thought as to why he wants the book so badly!

The second part is jam packed full of Fae history and more information than we've ever gotten in the previous books. Still no answers, but lots and lots of pieces that may actually fit together. And there's V'lane! Oh, how I missed him! I probably trust him less now, but I still loved his antics. One scene in particular stands out involving V'lane, a towel, and Barron's Viper. I'll just let you think about that one! ;)

Part III

OMG, some answers! Not to the big questions, but small answers are better than none! This series has been one total mind-f*ck, and this book makes it even more screwy! I think Moning likes messing with her readings, because once you think you've figured it out, she adds in some new twist! Some shocking news comes around and it was shocking. But then Chapter 43 happened and nothing else matters! Seriously, Chapter 43. *fans self* I would like a book dedicated to Barrons quotes.

Part IV

Holy crap, the shh hits the fan! What is true, what is lies, who is really who they say they are?!?!?!

ANSWERS!!!

Part V

You go, Mac! :D

There's also a very nice deleted scene which I would have LOVED to have made it into the story somewhere. But I guess, since it's included as an extra that's just as good.

So this is probably the worst review in history, but the book was insane and I don't like writing spoilers. I want to read it again already just to see if I pick up any details that I missed the first time around. I am so glad Moning is going to continue this series, because I haven't had my fill of Barrons yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to read my post and leave a comment; I really appreciate it! :)