Important

This blog is moving to WordPress! The new address is:
http://pinkindle.net

You can subscribe/resubscribe to my RSS feed here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/pinkindle

Monday, May 14, 2012

[Review] Cathing Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins

Title: Catching Fire
Series: The Hunger Games, #2
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages: 396 (Kindle edition)
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: May 28, 2010

Suzanne Collins continues the amazing story of Katniss Everdeen in the phenomenal Hunger Games trilogy.Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.


Even though they're out of the arena, the games are still not over for Katniss and Peeta. They must now go on tour and keep up their lovers routine, in order to placate the Capitol, who views their triumph as an act of rebellion. And Katniss is now the face of this rebellion even if she didn't mean to.

Catching Fire didn't immediately draw me in like the previous book did. Katniss' life is so different, with the endless supply of food, money, and luxuries. She's still her same fierce self, for the most part, but now she's being dragged down by uncertainties. Can she keep up her charade in front of the cameras? Can she keep her family and Gale safe? Can she even keep herself alive? While the conflict in this book is much different than the previous, it was still interesting. It didn't have that same wow factor, or make me cringe with the violence, and at times it just felt slow. That is until around the halfway point...

I had a feeling Katniss would be thrown back into the arena. It didn't seem right that this book would lack the excitement and violence of the games. It definitely didn't disappoint. This Hunger Games is so different than the last one. Not only is the scenery completely different, but so are the other tributes and their strategies. Katniss is determined to stay alive as long as possible, but not to win, to make sure Peeta wins! I'm actually not sure how I feel about Peeta. He's a sweetie, but he's also kind of bland. I was cheering on Katniss to protect him though.

This book was much more emotional than the first. I felt horrible for Katniss and Peeta having to reenter the arena after such a short time. Again, I couldn't figure out how this was going to end, other than Katniss surviving (or who else would narrate the last book?!). I definitely wasn't expecting things to go the way they did, so now I must jump straight into Mockingjay!

6 comments:

  1. Catching Fire was probably my least favorite. I don't even remember it that well. I probably read it twice, whereas I usually read books fifty times over. This didn't deliver for me, and neither did Mockingjay. It all went kind of downhill at the end of The Hunger Games (the first book is what I'm referring to). But hey, you enjoyed it! Thanks for the review!

    Alyssa Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL the ONLY reason I guessed that Katniss and the gang were going back to the arena was because one of my friends spoiled it for me, so you're far more intuitive than I am, Angie x) But I loved this book too! This was definitely an emotional roller coaster with them going back into the games and all, but I'm glad you still enjoyed it! :)

    Awesome review, Angie! Hopefully you love Mockingjay as much as I did -- it seems to be a controversy in the blogosphere! x) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling! LOL. I had to read one after the other. :) I'm a new gfc follower, btw. If you feel like returning the favor, please drop by:
    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the trilogy! The first book was awesome, and at the end of the last one I was actually crying

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book. I think it was my favourite of the three. I have to say that the last line was the best ending line I have ever read. "There is no district 12" Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting review! This book was amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read my post and leave a comment; I really appreciate it! :)