Important

This blog is moving to WordPress! The new address is:
http://pinkindle.net

You can subscribe/resubscribe to my RSS feed here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/pinkindle

Monday, April 23, 2012

[Review] The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Pages: 313 (Hardcover)
Publisher: Dutton Books
Release Date: January 10, 2012

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


While I wasn't blown away by this one as so many other were, I did really enjoy it. I read it through in three sessions, interrupted only by sleep and classes. I didn't cry which probably makes me a horrible person, especially since I'm a total cry baby, but I was still moved by Hazel and Augustus' story. The Fault in Our Stars deals with a very tough, sad subject, but overall it didn't feel sad. There were some very sad parts, hence the expectation to cry, but there's the theme of hope weaved throughout the whole story.

I've noticed that all of John Green's main characters seem to be quite pretentious. Hazel is no exception, but I like that. She may be dying of cancer, but she still displays humor, cynicism, brains, and caring. She even falls into some of those stereotypes of how people treat cancer patients, which she hates. I absolutely loved Augustus from the moment we met him! He's hilarious and sweet and just completely loveable.

The one thing I did not like about this book was the whole Peter Von Houten plot. He played an important role in the story, but at the end I found his actions very unbelievable and just irritating. I know a lot of the plot couldn't have happened without him, but I still just didn't like it.

I'm never really sure how to review Green's books. He's obviously a talented writer, and I do enjoy his books. I just don't know what to say without spoiling anything! The Fault in Our Stars is heartwarming, funny, sad, moving, so many things in one. I'm not familiar with the cancer process, but it felt like a very realistic portrayal with ups and downs.


Was this review helpful? If so, please vote yes on Amazon.

10 comments:

  1. She may be dying of cancer, but she still displays humor, cynicism, brains, and caring.

    My kind of gal! Great review. Thank you for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Looking for Alaska? Thats the only other book by Greene that i've read and I hated it and wanted to know if it was at all like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I have. It was a little strange, but I did like it. I don't think this one is anything like it. But since you didn't like Looking For Alaska you probably wouldn't like Paper Towns by him either. They're pretty similar, but PT was more frustrating to me.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of his books, but this one sounds like something I would like. I love it when authors can create a book about a difficult subject, but still manage to put humor in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read anything by this author, but The Fault in Our Stars has been buzzing around the blogging world for a while. I think this would be a good read, except that I can't really feel that much sorrier for people with cancer who CAN afford to go to hospitals, while there are people who cannot go to hospitals and get treatment. I am not bashing this book. I will still read it. Just saying.
    Thanks for the review!
    Alyssa Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for honest review, I've heard a lot about this one but haven't gotten to it yet.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, honest review. :) I think I noticed a typo though... "but I was stilled moved by Hazel and Augustus' story" Shouldn't that be 'still'? I hope I'm not wrong haha.
    --Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you're right! Thanks, I fixed it. :)

      Delete
  7. I agree that the Peter van Houten part of the book doesn't make a lot of sense (I think it's the weakest part in the book), but I still loved TFiOS and so far it's still on my top books of the year!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with this review. I'm sitting here after finishing the book and wondering if I'm the only person who didn't cry. Clearly not, thank God. The expectations to cry was definitely constant yet still my tears wouldn't budge. Despite the limited sadness I should have felt more, I loved reading the book and couldn't bring myself to put it down. It talked about a tough topic with humour that made all the characters so loveable and the book truly enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read my post and leave a comment; I really appreciate it! :)