Important

This blog is moving to WordPress! The new address is:
http://pinkindle.net

You can subscribe/resubscribe to my RSS feed here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/pinkindle

Saturday, March 17, 2012

[Review] Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic

Title: Never Eighteen
Author: Megan Bostic
Pages: 204 (Paperback)
Publisher: HMH Children's Books
Release Date: January 17, 2012

I had the dream again. The one where I’m running. I don’t know what from or where to, but I’m scared, terrified really.

Austin Parker is never going to see his eighteenth birthday. At the rate he’s going, he probably won’t even see the end of the year. But in the short time he has left there’s one thing he can do: He can try to help the people he loves live—even though he never will.

It’s probably hopeless.

But he has to try.


"It's almost tragic, really, how much we take for granted the beauty that surrounds us everyday."

I think that line sums this book up pretty well. Austin knows his time is almost up, so he takes one weekend to have new experiences, spend time with his best friend, and make sure those he knows will be okay when he's gone. He's trying to live what little of his life he has left, and he doesn't want the people around him to waste theirs anymore. Yes, this book made me cry. I knew he was going to die, but after spending 190 pages with Austin on his journey to spread life, I couldn't help it.

Even though there is a sad ending, the whole book isn't sad. Austin is so full of life as he and Kaylee drive around Tacoma and Seattle. They ride the scariest rides at the fair, eat the spiciest food, party, laugh and love. I also loved getting a detailed tour of Washington through Austin's eyes. This is a very quick, but very emotional read, and I whole-heartedly recommend it.


Was this review helpful? If so, please vote yes on Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. i loved this book/i tried 2 be macho/dude speaking here/ but i cried my eyes out

    i wish i knew him long b4 he died/loony book lover here lol/to me characters r as ''real'' as can be

    lovly review angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read several negative reviews on this but thanks for the positive one, I'm definitely going to read this (soon). Great review! --Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read my post and leave a comment; I really appreciate it! :)