Important

This blog is moving to WordPress! The new address is:
http://pinkindle.net

You can subscribe/resubscribe to my RSS feed here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/pinkindle

Friday, December 16, 2011

[Review] Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful DisasterTitle: Beautiful Disaster
Series: Beautiful, #1
Author: Jamie McGuire
Pages: 454 (Kindle edition)
Publisher: Jamie McGuire
Release Date: May 26, 2011
The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’ apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

Imagine you're driving down the highway and notice a car driving the wrong way straight toward another car. That car swerves to avoid the idiot on the wrong side, but then a couch falls off of a truck and they hit it. Then the car flips over, does some somersaults, and gets hit by an oncoming vehicle. Then it bursts into flames.^ You're wondering, "what the hell just happened?!" First of all, you probably pulled over and are the worst type of gawker. Secondly, you just had an experience similar to reading Beautiful Disaster.

From the very beginning I wasn't sure if I wanted Abby and Travis to get together. He's sexy, tattooed, and happens to be a genius. She wears cardigans, sucks at Biology, and likes chocolate syrup in her oatmeal. There was no way I could see these two in the same social circle, let alone being bestest friends turned lovers gone wrong. Plus Abby was either completely dense or pretending to be for most of the book in order to not see how much Travis was in love with her. Then we learn about her "shocking" secret and...

"This has just become one convoluted clusterfuck."

Indeed. Except that her secret is kind of lame, and seems to only partially explain her behavior. But it's unique and helps contribute to the insane drama. So much drama that those two almost gave me whiplash.

^Accident scenario provided by Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews.

5 comments:

  1. Wow I've never heard of this one but it sounds soooo sweet! Now I really want to read it. Too bad the secret wasn't the greatest but I love drama so I will definitely be checking this one out. Thanks for the great review :)


    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit
    International 300 Follower Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. now the thing that interests me most about the book is the secret!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want to know what Abby's secret is even if it's lame. Thank you for that. lol. xD
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still don't know how Travis didn't get arrested in this book. All he did was beat on people! I thought that Abbey's secret was a bit unlikely if anything. You're right about her being totally clueless too, anyone could see that Travis was totally crazy about her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently read this book in April, and I LOVED it! I was apalled at some times, because of all the violence and drinking and sex, but I got past all of that, finished the book, and loved it! I've re-read it like fifty times since I finished, it's that good :D
    Thanks for the review! Glad you enjoyed the book.

    Alyssa Susanna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read my post and leave a comment; I really appreciate it! :)