Important

This blog is moving to WordPress! The new address is:
http://pinkindle.net

You can subscribe/resubscribe to my RSS feed here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/pinkindle

Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Best of 2011

As 2011 comes to end, I figured I should dedicate a post to the books I read this year that really stood out to me. I'm not doing a countdown, since I don't have that many great books so sift through (my reading stride didn't hit until July). Here you'll see the 11 5-star books and one 4-star book that I couldn't get out of my head.

I did have several more 5 star books from the year that should have made this list, but they're all by the same author! You've probably already seen them in the post from yesterday.


What were your favorite reads of 2011?

The Host by Stephenie Meyer
The Host (The Host, #1)
I know what you're thinking, "Oh great, Twilight with aliens!" Actually, I had that same thought when I first heard about this book, but I did enjoy Twilight, so I gave it try. I'm so glad that I did! It's nothing like Twilight, except for a love triangle, which is actually more of a love rectangle really: 4 personalities, but only 3 bodies. I just really loved this book, although it made me hate the word "cacophony," which appeared at least once a chapter, and there were a lot of chapters!



A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron
A Dog's Purpose
This book was super adorable! It's told completely from the point-of-view of a dog as he (and she once) go through several lives. I laughed. I cried. I cried from laughing, then laughed at myself for crying so much. I just really loved this book, and it's a rare one that I would definitely read again.






Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Lola and the Boy Next Door
This is a companion novel to Anna and the French Kiss, which was also very good, but only 4 stars for me. As for Lola, she gets the full 5! She was fun and sassy, and I couldn't help but love her even when she wasn't being the nicest person. San Francisco as the setting also added to my love for this book. This was light and sweet and smile-inducing, and I would most definitely recommend it to lovers of Contemporary YA novels. I can't wait for Isla and the Happily Ever After!



Again the Magic by Lisa Kleypas
Again The Magic
This was another fun read, but for different reasons than Lola. Unfortunately, I can't point out the exact reason. Maybe it was the unrequited romance, or the revenge plot, or maybe it was just the author's writing style. Whatever it was, this book was magic for me. I'll definitely be continuing this series, and I'm very excited to start the 2012 Krazy Kleypas Reading Challenge!





Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon
Outlander (Outlander, #1)
I can't think of another word to describe this one other than epic. It was most definitely not what I was expecting. Mainly, it was much more violent, and had much less romance. I was seriously awestruck, and devoured every word. I'd like to continue this series, but I'm majorly intimidated by the number of pages that consists of. [Review]




The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The HelpI had no idea about this book until I opened it. I didn't even know it was a movie until after I finished it! My mom wanted it, but she was in the middle of another book when it arrived, so I picked it up. I didn't like it immediately, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. This book shows that doing the right thing, and standing up for what you believe is not always easy, but you'll feel much better about yourself and your world for it. [Review]





Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
Forbidden Another tear jerker! Seriously, the ending of this one had me sobbing. This story deals with a relationship, which is considered taboo. Keep that in mind if you're curious about this one, since it may be outside of your comfort zone. However, I definitely recommend it. I don't want to say too much and spoil it! [Review]





Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1)
This book was just amazing! The last third of it was beautiful, tragic, fascinating, captivating, etc. Seriously, it was not what I was expecting at all. It went from fun Urban Fantasy to gripping Mythology out of nowhere. Definitely a new favorite. [Review]






Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward
Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)

Zsadist is my favorite of the brothers so far! He's so damaged and hurt, and it was amazing to watch him heal! This book made me cry as well, but it tears of joy at seeing how far Z has come. I just hope the following books can hold up to it.





[Erotica!]Comfort Food by Kitty Thomas
Comfort FoodThis book was intense. It is not for everyone, as it deals with kidnapping, BDSM, and Stockholm Syndrome. Even though it's listed as Erotica, the sex is less frequent, and less detailed than in other erotic books. I would describe this as more of a look into the psychological state of the main character over several months. I finished this book in one sitting, and I honestly still find myself thinking about it from time to time.




[Erotica!]Under Mr. Nolan's Bed by Selena Kitt
Under Mr. Nolan's Bed (Original)Another book that will not sit well with everyone, but this time due to incest. There is an edited version out there, but I didn't read it. Now I must say that I only gave this one 4 stars, but it was more like 4.75 stars. I just couldn't give it that extra star, because the "surprise" ending was way too over the top, and I found it quite unbelievable. However, I still found that I enjoyed this very much. I'll definitely be reading more by Selena in the future.



[Erotica!]Hearts in Darkness by Lauren Kaye
Hearts in DarknessOne last erotic tale! This was a fast, sexy read, but it was also very sweet. It definitely was not the best book, or even the most intriguing story, but something about it just touched me. I don't know what to say other than that, but I did love this short story.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved Forbidden too, and it made my top 10 list as well. :) I thought Under Mr. Nolan's Bed and Comfort Food were crazily compulsive, too!

    Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Host, too! It's hard trying to get people to read it, though. Also, I've read Twilight, and noticed that Stephenie Meyer seems to fall a little in love with different longer words at different times, and then reuses them for about a hundred pages. Cacophony is a tragic example of this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read my post and leave a comment; I really appreciate it! :)